What I Learned From Running 31 Days in a Row

As some of you may know, I joined a 2019 challenge, along with 66 other members of our PNW ladies running group, to run everyday for 365 days. Minimum of one mile.

I made the decision to join this challenge back in late November. I had completed my second half marathon and I was tired and my shins hurt and I needed a new goal. I began running in December to prepare, since the challenge began January 1st. My longest running streak in December was 8 days straight. Anyone who misses a day in the official challenge is out (whether it be due to an injury, forgetting to post to social media and in the group, or various other reasons).

So here I am, sitting at my messy table on February 1st, and I'm still in. Some of my runs were ROUGH. I still get shin splints. I still get tired, even though most days I'm running less than a mile and a half. But I am unbelievably proud, and I wanted to share some things I learned from this month.

This challenge removed the struggle of "I don't want to work out today." It was no longer a question I had. Either you put on your damn shoes and go for a run, or you can say goodbye to that $670 prize (we all paid $10 to enter the challenge). Also, since there was a time limit of 9 PM each day, I began to arrange my days around my run instead of figuring out where I could "fit it in" each day.

I no longer scorn one mile days. Previously my running schedule was twice a week: a 5K on Tuesdays and a longer 5-8 mile run on Fridays. This was before my half marathons which screwed that up because half marathons are BRUTAL. My attitude in the past was always "it's 3 miles or nothing." I'm not at a point now where I could run 3 miles a day long term, though I hope to get there eventually, so I'm proud that I'm learning to build the habit first. For the first 12 days of January, I ran 1 mile only, and now I add 10% of my distance per week! It feels really good to have taken a step back, and it feels like I could keep running this way indefinitely.

I LOVE measurable progress. And I love baby steps. I love seeing improvement in my mile time. I love taking less breaks. I am notorious for starting too big, getting overwhelmed, and quitting, so this challenge is perfect for me.

You cannot compare your progress to others' progress. Although it's tempting, since we are all accountable within our facebook group, but this challenge has helped me to celebrate MY OWN accomplishments, WHILE being able to cheer on my fellow go-getters. The challenge has some people that run a mile a day and struggle, while others are easily at 5-6 miles per day. I cannot get discouraged, and I'm not. My progress is my own journey and it makes me so happy.

I can go farther than I think I can. The last two days I have been sick and congested, so I walked out my door with the attitude of "I'm going to do the bare minimum mile." But when I reached my half mile turnaround, both times I thought, "ehh, I might as well go another .16 and keep with my distance." I'm SO proud of this!

I'm not done yet! In January, I ran 35.91 miles, and this is far from over for me. I cannot wait to see what kind of miles we gain in February. (We = me and Lucy and sometimes our buddies Jordan, Chloe, and Olive.) If you want to stay tuned to my progress or see my daily updates, I post everyday on Twitter @sixthchick when I've completed my run!

Comments

Popular Posts