Life Update

Two years ago, I updated my blog with the promise to blog "more often."

However, since then, life has happened. I moved to Seattle, got a job teaching private piano and voice (which I very much enjoy most days), my twin nephews were born, I took up housesitting and dogsitting for a few months, stopped doing that, took it up again (though I don't housesit anymore), prepared students for concerts, maintained my long distance relationship for another year (which I do not recommend unless your man is as golden as mine is and in that case HELL YES YOU DO WHATEVER IT TAKES SIS), finally got my relationship to the very very short distance point (which I also extremely enjoy although living with said person opens up a whole other realm of omg why are your socks always on the floor), wracked up my credit card from a $0 balance, gained about a billion pounds (probably realistically 20 but it seems like a billion when you're 5'2") but also ran my first half marathon because balance, and there you go.

Some of my friends from Montana have faded from my life, others I've reconnected with over the oddest things, and life continues to roll its merry way. And I've enjoyed it! Every difficult, hilarious, painful, beautiful moment that brought me here, to this quiet apartment (but my ears are ringing from my ear infection so quiet might not be the right word?) with my coffee beside me, my Lucy girl napping just a few feet away, and a Rover dog napping at my feet. Dazey will be here til Friday, my birthday.

I work 4 days a week with a company called 4/4 School of Music. It is very similar to the school I worked at in Bozeman, Belgrade Music Academy, but a much larger scale. 4/4 has locations throughout the Seattle area, as well as Oregon and Texas, and they are constantly expanding. I work in 3 different locations around Seattle: Bellevue twice a week, Redmond once a week, and Lynnwood once a week which is my absolute favorite because it's the shortest commute. Available hours are 2-9 but all modest aside I am an extremely popular teacher and my schedule is crammed to the gills and getting home at 9:30 or 10 PM and trying to cook dinner is just not my favorite long term schedule. So I am working on trimming those late night hours.

I adore my job and my students are for the most part wonderful. I teach all ages and all levels of piano, so I have several precious kindergarteners and a few hardworking and dedicated adults and every thinkable combination in between. I have tweens and teens that lie to me about how much they practice, I have middle schoolers with severe ADHD and bipolar tendencies, I have kids who hate me, kids who miss their last teacher, kids who run up to me and hug me, kids who draw me pictures, kids who remember my birthday and give me gift cards, kids who "DON'T WAAAAANT TOOOOO", you name it. At this point I am teaching anywhere from 38-43 lessons per week.

Working as a Rover dogsitter on the side has honestly been a perfect supplemental income for me, because it's not like getting a morning job at a coffee shop or a weekend job stocking shelves. I still get to stay home when it's my time to stay home, I would already be walking Lucy and feeding Lucy anyway so it's only barely extra work. I also noticed last night in the checkout line at QFC that you can buy a Rover gift card for your friends or family. So that's pretty neat.

For Christmas/our anniversary last year, Rorey bought me a Yamaha keyboard for our apartment, so my next endeavor (or one of them) is to work on getting set up to teach Skype lessons from my home. Please reach out to me if you have any questions about that or are interested. I have a relatively open schedule and I am offering discounted rates as I get it set up.

My other next endeavor, as I become even more of a homebody and less of a cheerful commuter, is to get started proofreading! That probably isn't coming immediately, but it's definitely on my radar.

When I'm not driving or teaching or taking care of dogs, you can probably find me reading or listening to an audiobook, coloring, journaling, bullet journaling, binge watching one of my many dramas that Rorey claims to hate (but I swear it's just because they make him cry), meal planning healthy food and then ordering pizza instead, or training for my next half marathon!

Thanks for catching up. I promise to blog "more often!"

Cheers,
Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts